Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Urban Mountaineering III

I admit, I had grandiose visions for urban mountaineering. Was sort of hoping it would catch on and spread, Fight Club-style, and that someday there would be thousands of urban mountaineers, and I would be the Shadowy Founder who no one had ever actually met. And then I would reveal myself, only perhaps at that point no one would believe that I, a shrink from a smallish city, had single-handedly invented Urban Mountaineering.

But it's not really going that way. Tonight I did 11 "pitches" of U.M. alone. 1, 2, and 517 all ignored my text message to meet me at the mountain. In a bit of good news, though, it sounds like Girltuesday is mulling starting up a second U.M. franchise in her town (not quite sure where that is-- I suspect it may be the Slightly Smaller City further north.) I strongly urge all to start up, wherever you are!

Coming soon: summit prayer flags.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

field report: lowas on; prepared to commence climbing.

tempted to try the stairs in my building. there are nine stories on a wicked pitch and they are cold.

i predict um is going to be huge in the slightly smaller city (north).

2/1/06, 8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. if needed supply of summit prayer flags on my porch.

2/1/06, 8:42 AM  
Blogger Turbo said...

Very excited to here that UM is picking up speed and momentum, like the proverbial turboglacier, and will soon be the talk of the Slightly Smaller City. Do report back in detail! Send photos! We're working on an "Urban Mountaineers of the Smallish State" pin-up calendar for 2007!iu

2/1/06, 9:57 PM  
Blogger Turbo said...

hear, not here.

2/1/06, 9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always join forces with Timmy O'Neill, the urban ape - see http://www.senderfilms.com/films/frfreaks/index.htm

2/1/06, 10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sign me up for April.

2/3/06, 11:18 AM  
Blogger Turbo said...

April will require posing in a bright-yellow GoreTex rainsuit. Like I said, send photos.

Come to think of it, January may require posing a rainsuit, too, if things continue this way.

2/3/06, 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bright yellow, huh? that's sure to look well with the green double-boots. v. sporty-spice.

(i think this weather could be a marketing boon to your urban sport brainchild.)

2/3/06, 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home