Friday, January 18, 2008

Stanley

There is a new presence lurking around the Turbopalace. Stanley (so-named because he was born in tool box) was rescued from my the barn at my friend Nutmeat's mom's farm. He is awfully friendly, which was a problem at first, because he smelled like a walking cow pie. Here is a photo of him looking at me suspiciously, because he knows that I am about to give him a nice sudsy bath.

I don't know if he's going to be a keeper. To tell you the honest truth, of all the cat breeds and colors, black-and-whites have always had low initial draw for me (Millie, Blanche, Sidney, Bonita-- I'm sorry! Don't take this personally!). I've always been most attracted to wild-ish looking (and behaving) cats, preferably with spots or stripes. Perhaps this is partly my own uneasiness-- people always make fun of men with cats, but this can be somewhat ameliorated if the cat looks like his dad might have been a tiger. Black-and-white cats, on the other end of the spectrum, look very cosmopolitan, proper, and well-dressed. They are the metrosexuals of the domestic feline world. They don't frighten people. They barely frighten mice. (At least, this is all my prejudiced impression.)

From a physical standpoint, my ideal companion would be one of these "jag cats" from a breeder in Florida.
But they are absurdly expensive. Maybe I could get one as a friend for Stanley someday, though.

4 Comments:

Blogger NeoNurseChic said...

Stanley is cute! I guess the black and white kind of makes them look like they're wearing a tuxedo or something! What is his personality like besides very friendly? Is he playful? Easily scared? Curious? I love the variety of personalities that cats can have!

Here are pics of my cat, Tony: Tony Pics

You can kinda see from the pictures, but he has some very neat markings. First off, he looks striped, but if you really look closely, it is a collection of well-aligned spots. He has a diamond on his nose and white "socks" and underbelly. He's got "glasses" and the top of his head looks like a chipmunk.

And talk about wild personality - he is definitely the alpha male, and I think he still tries to be the alpha when my boyfriend Jason is around, although he does like Jason a lot and cozies up to him. He is quite the devious little bugger and gets into a lot of trouble. I can't let him into my room at night because he will destroy things and possibly get hurt himself. One night I was holding him while I fell asleep, and he ended up getting down off the bed and knocked over an oxygen tank, which fell into the bedside table, knocking over a lamp and scaring me half to death! He has also chewed through at least one laptop cord, and if he gets near my Mac Powerbook G4, he LOVES to rip off the keys and strew them around the apartment. So I no longer let him near that! The other day he went after the iPod firewire! I have several things against the cabinets in the kitchen because he knows how to get in there and chew things up. The worst is my piano, which is a digital clavinova. When Tony wants to make me angry, he goes under the clavinova and chews on a wire that runs from the keyboard to the ground. Tony actually plays the piano, if I have the piano on and the keyboard open, and I have video of him doing this on my cell phone, which I'll have to figure out how to get online at some point! It's really funny.

No matter how bad he is, though, all I can say is that he's definitely got personality! He's also very lovey and loves to snuggle - but only on HIS terms...and he bites when he wants you to let him go. I couldn't give him up for anything. Jason wants Tony to find an adopted family because he's so allergic to him, but I just can't give him up! He's my baby!

Anyway - enjoy Stanley! Would love to see some more pics closer up and to hear more about him!

Take care,
Carrie :)

1/18/08, 8:29 PM  
Blogger Johanna said...

Y'know, I always got the sense that barn cats appreciated it more than other cats. And I'd pick a barn cat of any markings over one of those expensive kinds, and not just because I'm cheap. But I'm not partial to calico, or extra long hair.

But then, that might be because I live in a barn myself. Or because the only cats I've ever lived with were plucked from barns as kittens.

Want. Cat. What kind of landlord rents out an apartment in a barn but snarls at the very mention of cat? (Or refuses to feed it when I'm off on trips. Same thing, really. He waters my plants, he could feed a cat!)

1/18/08, 9:10 PM  
Blogger Ladyk73 said...

Awwww...how cute...so innocent!

Dude..he came from the kitty streets. He is trying to detox from barn weed.

He just needs a chance...man!

1/18/08, 10:53 PM  
Blogger jcat said...

Hey...glad you have a feline in the house again!

1/19/08, 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home