Thursday, December 20, 2007

I'll Take Anything

This is the time of year when clients struggle to figure out if they should wish their therapists a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Kickin' Kwanza, or nothing at all. At the end of sessions people stammer out uncomfortable expressions such as, "Well, I don't know what you are, but...", and "You're Christian, right? I mean I'm just guessing. I mean it's fine if you aren't. I mean...", and "I guess it's safe to wish you a happy New Year, I don't know, do you celebrate New Year's?"

I'm thinking of trying to avoid the awkwardness by putting a sign such as this on my office door:

4 Comments:

Blogger NeoNurseChic said...

Ah yes that would be quite helpful! The Christmas cards I got this year have penguins on the front and they speak of wishing a happy holiday season. Last night, my boyfriend was over, and I asked him if he thought I could give my psychiatrist one of the cards - he thought it was fine. So I wrote my message of thanks, and then handed it to my bf to read over for me. Again, he thought it was fine. Such thought goes into this!

Before I was going away to Florida earlier this month, I had wanted to take the time to record a Christmas cd of my own piano/vocals. I would have given that to my psychiatrist (I have given him cds and tapes of my music before when he finished residency), but then I wasn't sure if he celebrated Christmas, and I thought that may be a bit rude of me to presume. But I never got around to making them! Ah well...

Anyway it would be far easier to know if one's psychiatrist celebrated a certain holiday!

Take care,
Carrie :)

12/20/07, 9:19 PM  
Blogger Rach said...

For some reason, all the shrinks I know are Jewish. Hannukah was last week. So right now I'm on the "Happy New Year" line...

But I agree wholeheartedly when it comes to the cookies. I bet all shrinks do better work when they are stuffed full of cookies.

12/20/07, 9:30 PM  
Blogger Ladyk73 said...

If a client asked you what your religion was...what would you say?

If that someone would not have an issues with it....

Do you answer direct questions?

12/22/07, 8:14 PM  
Blogger Turbo said...

Do I answer direct questions? That's a very interesting inquiry, Ladyk. The answer is: maybe I do, and maybe I don't. What's really important is how you would answer the question yourself, if I put it back to you. : )

12/27/07, 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home