Thursday, January 03, 2008

Update On Walking To Work


This morning was the chilliest walk to work yet. It was quite invigorating.
I didn't really expect my new one-mile walk to work to be warmer than my previous 58-mile drive, but I did have hopes that it would be considerably safer. After a couple months of doing it, though, I have my doubts.


Between the endless opportunities for slip-and-fall, the many street crossings with their attendant risk of motor vehicle vs. pedestrian contact, and the ever-present threat of urban avalanche and icefall, it seems that the daily expedition is full of its own hazards.
So, I decided I'd better start taking standard urban pedestrian-commuter precautions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have your crampons? ice axe? av-beacon? maybe we only need these things for commuters on the other side of the smallish city.

1/3/08, 2:03 PM  
Blogger NeoNurseChic said...

Nice gear! For my walk to the train station here outside of Philadelphia, I bought snow pants and a very warm winter coat. Unfortunately, I don't take the train like I should be (would require me to get up a whole half hour earlier! heh), but I do feel rather prepared for my commute on foot! I don't have the best boots, but they work. When I lived in State College, I often felt that I needed to use my figure skates to get to the ice rink rather than once I got there - and I used to go into the rink to warm up! I'd skate in sweats, a short-sleeved t-shirt, and a pair of knit gloves, but then once I went out into that bitter Happy Valley air, I was bundling up a good bit more!

Fortunately I don't have to worry about too much falling ice in these parts! You've got us beat in terms of harsh winters at least a hundred times over. I'm tired of the mild mud winters we have here! The cold/cloudy/raininess of winter without the big snow - it's just not fun!

Take care,
Carrie :)

1/6/08, 1:40 PM  
Blogger Ladyk73 said...

DORK!!!!

(I mean that in a good way!)

giggles

1/9/08, 8:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home