Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Mountaineering


Thoreau (and Thoreau quoting Milton) on climbing the Smallish State's highest, wildest peak. Or at least, that's ostensibly what he is describing. There is more in it, of course.

"Some part of the beholder, even some vital part, seems to escape through the loose grating of his ribs as he ascends. He is more lone than you can imagine. There is less of substantial thought and fair understanding in him, than in the plains where men inhabit. His reason is dispersed and shadowy, more thin and subtle, like the air. Vast, Titanic, inhuman Nature has got him at disadvantage, caught him alone, and pilfers him of some of his divine faculty. She does not smile on him as in the plains. She seems to say sternly, 'Why came ye here before your time? This ground is not prepared for you. Is it not enough that I smile in the valleys? I have never made this soil for thy feet, this air for thy breathing, these rocks for thy neighbors. I cannot pity nor fondle thee here, but forever relentlessly drive thee hence to where I am kind. Why seek me where I have not called thee, and then complain because you find me but a stepmother? Shouldst thou freeze or starve, or shudder thy life away, here is no shrine, nor altar, nor any access to my ear.'

'Chaos and ancient Night, I come no spy
With purpose to explore or to disturb
The secrets of your realm, but as my way
Lies through your spacious empire up to light.' "

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home