Friday, February 02, 2007

I Was Warm, Below The Storm

Was I away? Oh yes, I suppose I was, ever so briefly, in Tropical Island Paradise Region, visiting the family. No sailing, alas, unless you count the sunfish with a cracked hull, which sank every 30 minutes. But I took Favorite And Only Nephew (age two) on a brief kayak ride. He grabbed right on to the paddle. He will be a fine paddler when he grows up.

Also very exciting, I saw an octopus while snorkeling. I have been waiting many years to see an octopus while snorkeling. He was just swimming along, and saw me about the same time. He quickly retreated to a nook under a rock, behind a sea urchin, and curled his arms around himself. I backed up a few yards and waited. Before long, his eyes came peering up over the rock, watching me. When I moved so that the urchin blocked his view, he moved and peered around the urchin. He changed colors from tan to white to blue-ish. But he would not come out and play.

1 Comments:

Blogger jcat said...

That's so cool....I have seen lots of little octopi while scuba diving at one spot in SA. My best ever though was diving with a group of rehabilitated trawler-caught dolphins. They all had a choice of staying in a large netted area or going out to sea every day, so there was never any guarantee that you would meet any, but I was lucky enough to have a pair come to play with us. Awesome...

2/3/07, 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home