Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Motivational Posters of Green Acres (Part III of an occasional series.)

In a previous post, we discussed a motivational poster featuring the Great Wall of China. As you’ll recall, the poster’s message is that when many people work together, they can achieve remarkable things (such as building the Wall.)

Proceeding down the hallway a few feet and through a door, one encounters the next motivational poster. This one displays an idyllic, soft-focus photograph of a wooden bridge, such as you might find in a Japanese garden. The text below reads:

C O M M U N I C A T I O N
Build bridges, not walls

I must admit that even with my advanced cynicism-detection, the humor of this whole arrangement escaped me for over a year. Now that I see it, though, I crack up almost every time I pass down the hallway. Who arranged the posters this way? Was it just random, or was there wicked genius at work? We may never know.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

One can hope, but . . .
At http://www.keysan.com/ksu1704.htm they show the wall poster, then a "Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be." poster, then the bridge poster. Maybe they were just tacked up pretty much in order?

On the other hand, "vision" is not seeing things as you're pretty sure they are, but as they'd be a heck of a lot better being. There's insight and humor in the system somewhere, even if you have to drag it in yourself.

1/10/07, 4:51 PM  
Blogger ClinkShrink said...

That shows you the difference in our worksites. The most common motivational poster I see is:

"Caution: drug dogs used in facility."

1/10/07, 7:49 PM  
Blogger GirlTuesday said...

i need a motivational poster for my office. any suggestions?

what about: welcome to hell. please do not feed the animals?

1/11/07, 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"advanced cynicism-detection" . . . You are making me laugh as I read through your blog!
Pop

3/2/07, 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home