Thursday, April 27, 2006

High and Dry and Pissed Off

Epilogue: As you'll recall, just yesterday the owner of that boat Limey and Stay of Execution and I had been asked to sail up from Tortola cancelled the trip. He said was having problems with purchase paperwork and the boat wouldn't be ready to sail by the scheduled departure date of May 15th. Apologized, barely, for the trouble he's put us through in organizing something that isn't going to happen.

Then tonight this popped up on one of the sailing websites I frequent:

"TORTOLA => N.Y. I need someone to deliver my Beneteau 411 from Tortola to New York City in a week or two. She will be ready to sail May 1st 2006 and would like to have her sailing shortly thereafter. Please contact me for more details. [jerko]@[dumbass].org (4/27/06)"

Yep, same guy, same boat, whole different story. I'm perplexed. I never tried to persuade this fellow that we were the best crew for this job; rather, he found me, and seemed quite eager to have us. Still, it occured to me that he might've found a crew he liked better, but this post doesn't support that theory. Various other mildly paranoid theories have crossed my mind. Is he running drugs? Maybe he thought we we asking too many questions. Is he planning some sort of boat disaster insurance fraud? That might explain his minimal attention to safety issues. Is he just a sociopath who enjoys toying with people?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps email and apply for the gig, as if you didn't realize it's the same guy? Play along and waste his time?

4/28/06, 7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

google him. what's his favourite movie? if it's dead calm, you know you're in trouble.

4/28/06, 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he wants to start earlier than you can sail or maybe he's looking for someone who will pay own airfare?

4/28/06, 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe a scam; maybe the deal actually went through and he was too embarrassed to get back to you? Sounds like you're better off without him.

4/28/06, 10:34 AM  
Blogger Katinka said...

That's outrageous! I think I'd call him on it directly...who knows, there may be a valid reason. And if not, at least you'll have your curiosity satisfied, it will send the the message to him that he's accountable.

That aside, I agree with Hannah...how does Boat no. 1 look? :)

4/28/06, 1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're definitely better off without his boat... yes, sailing up from Tortola would be fun...but he sounds like a nightmare...and you three don't need that.

5/1/06, 1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home