Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Neologism

Patients with psychotic disorders sometimes produce "neologisms", new words that aren't in the dictionary. This is considered a fairly classical symptom and often noted with interest by the treating psychiatrist.

In my experience, though, our staff produce as many, if not more, neologisms as the patients. A common one often seen in nursing notes is "flustrated", which I assume means some combination of flustered and frustrated. That is, a visibly manifested frustration.

Saw another this morning. We often describe a patient's mood as either stable or labile. This note reported "Mood: stabile." That's a perplexing lable.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Ursula K. LeGuin used "stabile" as a noun in The Left Hand of Darkness or The Dispossessed. I think neologisms are expected/socially acceptable in sci fi.

4/26/06, 2:55 PM  
Blogger Turbo said...

I stand corrected. "Stabile" actually IS in the dictionary, as an alternate to "stable". Rest assured I have fired my research assistant (kid was a slacker anyway) and from now one will keep closer personal control of this blog.

4/26/06, 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone once told me i was "gymtastic."

4/27/06, 9:34 AM  
Blogger Katinka said...

My family does this all the time...I just assumed it was because of the Irish ancestory and the linguist parents. Now I'm paranoid that I have a pschotic disorder...thanks a lot! *grn*

4/28/06, 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home