Wednesday, December 10, 2008

'Tis The Season To Drive Working People Bonkers

Well, they're back to ringing the bell outside my office. All day Monday. All day Tuesday. All day today. It's 5:25, dark out, and they haven't taken a break yet. It seems worse than last year-- now, they often have two people ringing bells at once. Or one person, with a bell in each hand. Something about the high-frequency pitch of these little bells seems to come right through my windows, then burrow into my brain like auditory maggots. By the end of the day I am tense and grouchy and it takes me a few minutes to realize why.

One of my patients (none of them can ignore the noise) told me that the bell-ringers are often recruited from the ranks of junior associates the large local local law firms. I don't know what to make of this. Except to suppose that walking across the street and punching them in the face would probably not end well for me.

I am trying so very hard not to be Grinch-like. But for real, this is getting out of hand. Please, let it be Christmas already, so my patients and I can talk in heavenly peace.

4 Comments:

Blogger brushfiremedia said...

You're a taxpayer. Complain. Tell the city they won't get any more money until you can make money by seeing your clients in peace.

12/10/08, 8:05 PM  
Blogger Johanna said...

I would think people being driven to the brink of bonkers is good for business. Make a deal with the bellringers - every time someone is less than "and merry christmas to you too kind lady!", get them to hand out your card. Or, if you have a no-show, spend the entire time with the bell-ringers, telling them how to harvest energy from their toilets. They might seek a permit for a different corner after all.

12/10/08, 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As an associate in a smallish-law firm here (with friends in the larger ones), I'm skeptical of the lawyer rumor. Can anyone confirm? My understanding is that a lot of times the bell-ringers are recruited from the ranks of those that the charities are trying to help. See:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/bellringer.asp

12/10/08, 10:09 PM  
Blogger brushfiremedia said...

I like Johanna's plan.

As for the associates as bellringers... I find that hard to believe, given the hours that most associates I know are working. When would they have time? I don't think there's that much bell-ringing between 1am and 5am...

12/11/08, 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home