Friday, November 28, 2008

Home For Holiday

6:20 am. Sleeping. I dream of a Klingon tractor beam, boring into my eyes.

I awake to find Favorite And Only Nephew shining a flashlight at my face.

FAON: Grammy said I could wake you up.
Me: She did, huh?
FAON: Yes. You have to open your eyes, so I know you're awake.
Me: Okay. Please turn off the flashlight, though.
FAON: Well, I'm going to turn on the lights then.
Me: Please don't turn on the lights. I'm still waking up. Grown-ups wake up more slowly than kids.
FAON: That's not true. Grammy and Grandpa wake up fast.
Me: Uncles are different.
FAON: Oh.
Me: What are we going to do today?
FAON: I don't know. No one likes to think of such things.

FAON turns on the lights and exits the room.

2 Comments:

Blogger brushfiremedia said...

FAON loves Uncle Turbo, it is clear. Enjoy your stay! If you are back in Smallish City on Sunday, come over for a visit!

11/28/08, 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be thankful he only thought of a flashlight and not the other common - at - least -in -my - experience nephew trick of leaping onto the bed at great velocity. I have to admit, cruel as it is, the leaping is an effective strategy. Has a tendency to devolve into a massive tickle fight however if the waking up proves a tag too successful and the recipient regains full consciousness.

11/30/08, 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home