Saturday, October 25, 2008

Crossing The Line

So this is what it's come to: after 11 years of rather determined saving and what seemed like fairly conservative investing, as of today I actually have less money than the sum of what I've put in. A less costly investment strategy would've been to spend 10% of my disposable income on heroin and stash the rest in paper bags in the cellar.

It begins to feel like the only reason for being employed is that a paycheck can offset, partially, the extravagant expense of owning mutual fund shares. Increasingly there is a company-store quality to this economic life that is quite unsettling.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just hang in there. You were'nt planning on retiring soon anyway. The people I really feel sorry for are those folks with plans to send kids to college or those who were planning on retiring or those who are 70.5 who have to take distributions this year.

10/25/08, 5:43 PM  
Blogger Turbo said...

Also today it occurred to me that a whole lot more fun way to lose this much money in a short period of time would've been to buy a Rolls Royce and drive it off a cliff. That at least would make a cool video on Youtube.

10/25/08, 7:06 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Ugh. :( For the first time in my life, I'm almost comforted by the fact that I'm made of student debt.

10/26/08, 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home