Monday, October 08, 2007

Farewell, 9

I had to put 9 to sleep over the weekend, and have been terribly sad. He'd been struggling with a failing heart for a long time, and had lost half his body weight, but was doing generally okay until I took him to the vet for his shots last week. It was a stressful trip, and he never quite recovered. Saturday morning I found him hiding under the deck, hoarsly meowing in distress. When I finally coaxed him out, he was panting hard and barely able to walk. I carried him inside; he lay down on the kitchen floor. Every so often he would rise to his feet, walk a few steps, cry out, and fall back on his side, barely able to breath. It was obvious he wasn't going to bounce back this time.

I realized that he would probably prefer to be outdoors, and opened the kitchen door to carry him back out-- but in his last act he got to his feet and stumbled outside on his own. Then he collapsed in the grass making sad noises, and didn't get up again. The vet very kindly made a house call (or backyard call) to put him to sleep, so that it could happen in his favorite patch of grass, rather than at the dreaded vet office.

He's buried beneath the crabapple tree, with a bunch of impatiens blossoms and more catnip than he'll ever know what to do with. He was one of the best and most consistent things in my life for the past decade. It's very lonely here without him.

Here are his last two portraits. Goodbye, fur-face, I miss you.


10 Comments:

Blogger GirlTuesday said...

goodbye, 9. may there be big bowls of tuna and sunny patches of grass waiting for you on the other side.

10/8/07, 12:35 PM  
Blogger jcat said...

It's hard losing furbabies...my thoughts are with you.
jcat

10/8/07, 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my thoughts are with you, it is so sad when the time comes for a beloved pet to leave us. be gentle with yourself, and keep memories of 9 in your heart.

10/8/07, 2:34 PM  
Blogger charlsiekate said...

We are all richer for the pets we have known in this life. I'm sure you and 9 will meet again in the next.

Sweet dreams 9.

10/8/07, 4:12 PM  
Blogger pjm said...

:(

Poor 9 - it sounds like he wouldn't have chosen to leave, either.

10/8/07, 9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My condolences. I lost my cat 4 years ago and I still miss her and think about her a lot. I feel for you.

10/8/07, 9:17 PM  
Blogger Claire Colvin said...

How kind of the vet to come to where 9 was comfortable and spare you both that last horrid journey.

My first cat lived to 17 (set the bar high for his eventual successor)and even then I wanted more time. Unfair as it was of me to ask for it.

Tennyson wrote, "Though much is taken, much abides". I hope that even as you are feeling the truth of the first part you will be comforted bythe truth of the second.

10/10/07, 2:08 PM  
Blogger Katinka said...

Oh Turbo, I'm so sorry to hear that news. I feel sad, and I only knew him through the blog.

The post and photos are a perfect tribute to him...I especially love the pic of him smiling contentedly from under the blanket.

10/10/07, 7:12 PM  
Blogger NeoNurseChic said...

I'm so sorry... I've just read this, and wanted to express my sentiments about your cat. From the posts I've read, it sounds like he was very much loved!

Just wanted to share my condolences from one cat lover to another....

--Carrie

11/13/07, 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We miss him a lot too. We were so happy to have him here on his "vacations", even though he hated car travel. And then there was the week in Rockport where he joined us. He was a wonderful cat and you took wonderful care of him.
Turbopop

12/9/07, 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home