Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness-- no, wait, strike the 'happiness' part."

Received an email at Green Acres this morning from some higher-up bureaucrat. Seems our Acting Commissioner has been promoted to Actual Commissioner, so we need to run around and change all the letterhead (I think the version in my computer still has the wrong governor listed-- whatever.)

More amusing, though, was this p.s. attached to the email:

"Additionally, the vision statement at the bottom of the letterhead should read 'Our vision is Smallish State people living safe, healthy and productive lives' instead of 'Our vision is Smallish State people enjoying safe, healthy and productive lives.' "

I swear I am not making this up. Living your life, fine. But enjoying your life, apparently, is considered just a little too hedonistic for this state.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the institution where I work (no, not a Green Acres type of institution, or so they say). I once had to edit a list of our "core principles," you know—those ideals we're all supposed to uphold as good and productive employees. Number 6 was: "We believe in using humor appropriately to energize, inspire, and encourage." I recommended changing this to "We use humor. . . . " I thought leaving the word "appropriate" in there would cover all bases, and I didn't even touch the so-called purposes of it (personally I just like to be funny) but even this conservative edit was nixed by the powers that be. So we don't use humor here. We just believe in using it.

5/2/06, 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's excellent. i'll bet a lawyer drafted it.

5/2/06, 1:15 PM  
Blogger Tillerman said...

What a fascinating insight on the kind of mind you need to become an Actual Acting Commissioner.

5/6/06, 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home