Monday, June 01, 2009

I Spit On Your Scooter

I parked my scooter downtown this afternoon to run in and do an errand. As I was getting off a guy came up the sidewalk and asked if he could "ask me a favor." I asked what the "favor" was. It was, could give him some money, because his car had "just run out of gas"?

I wasn't too impressed. First of all, if you've run out of gas, asking a guy on a scooter to help is probably not the best choice. Since it costs about $1.90 to fill the scooter tank, so we don't usually need to beg significant amounts of money to do it.

More to the point, this particular fellow had "run out of gas" and come asking me for financial assistance more than once before. So, I said to him "Sorry, I can't help you today." I ran in to do my errand. Five minutes later I came back to my scooter and found a huge glob of spit in the middle of the seat.

I'm trying not to rant. I really am. But I'm having trouble with humanity lately.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This must be going around. About a week ago I pulled into a gas station on my way to the airport and was filling up when a car pulled up on the other side of the pump, a man got out and asked if he could ask me a question. Fearing the question but already being mid-pump, I said yes. He said that he was on his way to Miami, was almost out of gas and asked could he have $10 in gas money in exchange for some jewelry. Although I was curious what junk my $10 would buy (and secretly wished I had a jeweler's loupe as a prop to whip out and inspect his offering), I said no and he moved on.

6/2/09, 1:14 PM  
Blogger Norm said...

At least it was only spit. I always worry they'll key my car as soon as I'm out of sight.

6/2/09, 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home